Sunday, October 29, 2006

Asian Sensations frozen appetizers are good.

I chose Fairytale Pink paint, and it looks fabulous! Yay! Just two small problems:

1) The new white curtains I bought are very, very sheer. So sheer that my sister remarked, "Holly, people outside could totally see your ta-tas through those curtains." So, yeah, those will have to be returned.

2) I cannot install an air register in my wall due to freakish pieces of metal behind the drywall. So, I must continue to live with a gaping hole where a vent should be. I find this very traumatizing, so much so that I probably complained about it about 50 times in the less-than-24 hours that Pez and Katie spent with me this weekend.

Last week, I felt very, very intellectual and cool because I checked out two foreign films and two opera DVDs from the library. Now they're due back tomorrow, and I haven't watched any of them because I was busy re-watching episodes of The Office and playing Game Boy. Woopsies! I'm also probably not going to read the majority of the books I got....Finding new books to read is difficult. I tried getting books similar to ones I've gotten in the past, but then you end up with just pale imitations. Why is it that all collections of humorous essays and anecdotes are by gay men who live in New York? And none of them are as funny as David Sedaris, or as interesting as Augusten Burroughs, so why bother? I'm also sick of male coming-of-age novels, which is what all the recommendations I've gotten lately have turned out to be. Hint hint, people! What should I read? I should check out the picture of Jenny's bookshelf! Score!

3 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger courtney said...

I have become a frequent admirer of Jenny's bookshelf myself. Always on the cusp of cool things to read, that girl. Also, if you enjoy David Sedaris, Jenny just picked up the wonderful book on entertaining by none other than his sister Amy Sedaris (the lead character on the amazing show "Strangers With Candy"). It is truly unlike any other party guide you will ever read. I promise. So for an interesting read and amazing coffee table conversation piece, pick up "I Like You" by Amy Sedaris.

 
At 5:54 AM, Blogger Jenny said...

Please feel welcome to peruse my bookshelf whenever needed. I considered purchasing a library set that gave you book cards and envelopes with a date stamp (think elementary school library). Then I realized I was cheap and I could take more of a Netflix approach - take it, read it, bring it back when you're done.

So, come and browse. Also, pink?? Fair enough. You should have kept the curtains - maybe you could use a little exhibitionism in your life.

 
At 6:43 PM, Blogger Mike said...

How about Haruki Murakami's Kafka on the Shore? It's not funny, and there really isn't much of a point to the story, but it's a trip. It's like Mulholland Drive - you'll love it when it's done but you don't know why.

I might also suggest Richard Dawkin's The Ancestors Tale (despite being a pushy atheist, he's really quite charming) or Sean Carroll's Endless Forms Most Beautiful. Both pieces of non-fiction that make biology interesting.

Yes, I said interesting. Who'da thunk?

Disclaimer: what's interesting to me might not be interesting to you. But you already knew that when you wouldn't let me go to the museum.

Otherwise read Ian McEwan's Saturday. It's easier to get through than Atonement. You'll want to read Atonement, because that's his big flashy popular book, but it's a boring read. One of those books you only appreciate after you finish it, but actually reading it is a chore. Better yet, read them simultaneously.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home