Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Election Day

It's Election Day! Don't forget to vote!

Don't worry, I would never presume to tell you HOW to vote (unless you ask, like my sister does. She pretty much just does my bidding! It's like I get 2 votes!). You're all adults, you can make up your own minds. I would suggest just taking about 10 minutes on the internet to just look up all the stuff that is going to be on your ballot. You know how you get in there and there are, like, all these offices you never heard of? It really only takes a minute to look that stuff up and make a reasonable choice, instead of just leaving that part of the ballot blank, or (heaven forbid) voting at random. Thank goodness for the internet.

Check out www.elections.il.gov if you're in Illinois, or www.elections.wi.gov if you're in Wisconsin.

While I'm here, I would also like to sing the praises of a decidedly less advanced source of information: the library. I have just recently started enjoying the perks of interlibrary loans. I know, these are usually used by students doing hardcore research who just HAVE to have a certain text. But can't I use it just to avoid paying $80 for a David Sedaris boxed set of books on tape? As it turns out, YES, I can. I always feel like I'm getting away with something when I walk out of the library with a backpack full of books/CDs/DVDs.

Re: those books on tape, they are swell. EXCEPT for the dopey MIDI music that appears at the beginning of some stories. Whose idea was this? The music itself is bad enough, but its lameness is compounded by the fact that it is clearly not played on real instruments. And the combination of faux-jazz with spoken word makes me feel like I should be wearing a beret and smoking a cigarette. Eh I guess someone thought it would be cute.

6 Comments:

At 9:13 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 9:14 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

I have similarly discovered the beauty of the public library. Unlimited PBS documentaries at my fingertips! Except the fines are huge...

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Johnny said...

Even better, My aunt bought David Sedaris on cd and I copied them, so I can listen to them whenever I want. Yes, the dopey music is quite annoying.

 
At 4:51 PM, Blogger Mike said...

I used interlibrary loan to get a PhD thesis from Tulane.

It was from the early 80s - 100+ pages with a typewriter and a frew hand-drawn marks. In the acknowledgements he thanks his sister for typing the whole thing.

 
At 9:06 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

Mike, that's so awesome!

 
At 10:28 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Almost on par with random voting is voting solely based on TV commercials. Like my dad. Boy did he hear it from me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home