Monday, February 05, 2007

Man Love


First off, know that the content of this post does not live up to the potentially salacious nature of its title.

Having just read "Of Mice and Men," I felt compelled to write about something that, like Animal Planet's Puppy Bowl III, "Jupiter" from Holst's "The Planets," and tri-cornered hats, delights me to no end: man love. Of the platonic variety. Isn't is just the cutest, nicest thing ever? When two guys are BFF, and they totally love each other, and they don't care who knows it?

"Of Mice and Men" presents a pretty serious and tragic version of such a relationship, as does "Midnight Cowboy." On the opposite end of the spectrum would be J.D. and Turk on "Scrubs," who sometimes refer to themselves as a couple and call each other "Brown Bear" and "Vanilla Bear." Somewhere in the middle would probably be Red and Andy from "The Shawshank Redemption." I also believe that, lately, Jim and Dwight on "The Office" are begrudgingly coming to terms with their man love for each other. I'm sensing more brotherly joshing than bitter rivalry between them lately, and I'm loving it.

So the question is: what is it about platonic man love that is so lovable? Methinks it tickles the fancy because such a relationship shows guys being sensitive without the possible motivation of sex. So you KNOW the love is pure.

1 Comments:

At 9:25 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

It is very intersting! and cute. I have a very good male friend who used to ( and sometimes still does) call me beautiful and sexy when I pick up the phone. He also told me he was going to roofie me the other day. Too funny! But it's odd when I compare other "male" relationships to ours as I am constantly " Well, with him we do that sort of thing, but we're weird so..."

 

Post a Comment

<< Home