Sunday, November 26, 2006

We'll Lead as Two Kings...

I hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!

Did you know that, despite my generally sunny and silly disposition, I am a big fan of post-apocalyptic, dystopian literature? 1984, Brave New World, Fahrenheit 451, I LOVE all that stuff! It's so scary, and depressing, and likely to come true! This came to mind when I was watching an old episode of Late Night on my Tivo. Conan was interviewing some scientist who was predicting that within the next 20 years or so, humans will begin melding technology with their own bodies, saying that we as a race will need to accelerate our own evolution with technology in order to solve the problems facing society. He was even advocating implanting a chip in the brain that would allow you to access the internet just by thinking about it, saying that you would then have all the information in the world constantly and readily available to you.

Is this guy out of his fucking mind? Am I the only one who thinks this is an absolutely horrible idea? Has he never seen the Matrix? I know, Einstein is always quoted as saying that he would never memorize anything that he could look up. But Einstein looked stuff up in books. Books, which you own and control, so you know the information is not being changed, and which are distributed by publishing companies which can be held accountable for their content. The internet, by contrast, is about 99% crap which (stupid) people often take as fact, which is why anybody who primarily gets their political views from blogs should probably be barred from voting. Can you imagine if people were relying on the internet for ALL of their knowledge, and if it was IN THEIR BRAINS so they would never actually remember anything? The government would literally be able to rewrite history (even more than they already do), and nobody would have genuine memories to contradict them. Not to mention the whole Terminator scenario of technology taking over and what not. Eeeeeeek!

I'm not terribly worried, though. This scientist cited global warming as an example of problem we would need this sort of technological augmentation to solve, but last time I checked, we already know exactly how to solve that problem. It's just a matter of getting the government to tell oil companies to go suck eggs, and get going with the alternative energy already! Yup, it's that simple, problem solved, Holly for President! Aren't lots of our problems caused by technology run amok anyways? It seems like we should be trying to rein it in, not putting it in our frickin brains!!

Send questions, comments, and non-perishable food items to: Crazy Lady, Shack in the Woods, Saskatchewan, Canada.

7 Comments:

At 12:34 AM, Blogger Johnny said...

Woo-Hoo. You had my vote before, but now I'll even campaign for you!

I totally agree with your views, and I also enjoy 1984 and Farenheit 451

 
At 7:08 AM, Blogger courtney said...

what would happen to all of those professors who get nothing but pure joy from watching students struggle through their exams? that stuff is like christmas to them!! couldn't do that f we already knew everything. alo, brave new world. one of my favorites.

 
At 8:03 PM, Blogger Mike said...

To quote The Office: "I love my Big Brother."

If we could connect to the Internet through a chip in our brains, does that mean people could hack into our thoughts? Quick, somebody call Michael Crighton!

 
At 8:40 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

Holly, indeed I am talking about the 49 year old who is in a band. He's a total tool. I bet he thinks he's going to get all sorts of chicks because he's showing of his "buff" body and he's in a band. Loser!

 
At 8:53 PM, Blogger Holly said...

Mike gets 8,263,684,186,732 coolness points for quoting "The Office."

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

I think a series of 10 blogs running through my brain all day would make me blissfully happy. But you're right to be cautious, as filling brains with dopamine to treat ADHD and Parkinsons accidentally incude schizophrenia. It's a delicate system. I'm all for robots don't get me wrong, but can humans robots coexist? Impossible. Dwight's blog post agrees.

 
At 7:32 AM, Blogger Holly said...

8,263,684,186,732 coolness points to Kyle as well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home