Monday, November 20, 2006

Katieland


Visiting Katie in Wisconsin Rapids was super fun. I patronized my first Copps grocery store, where I heard the thickest, most authentic Wisconsin accent ever from the cashier ("Do you need a 'bague' with that?"). While there, I also saw several people dressed in head-to-toe green and yellow, as well as what I, as an Illinoisan, can only call an astonishing selection of sausages and cheeses. I sampled cheesy tots, a local delicacy, and developed an obsessive love for sweet potato fries. I also had the opportunity to wonder if a hunter carting three deer corpses would qualify for the car pool lane. Seeing Michael Anthony roller skate for the first time ever in his life, seeing Pez slither around in a sleeping bag like the Grinch, and helping Katie demonstrate a cooperative stretch that looks and sounds like a sex act - it was all gold.

In other news, I finally got the new Beck CD (I was third or fourth on the waiting list at the library). It's pretty much the same as Odelay or Guero, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. Did you know that Beck is a Scientologist? How does that make you feel? A couple weeks ago I went to see Kathy Griffin, and she did a whole bit about Scientology and how you automatically think less of a person when you find out they are a Scientologist. I must say that it is kind of true. She listed all the celebrities that are Scientologists, and when she included Jason Lee, about 50% of the audience gasped and then sighed with pure horror and disappointment. Not Earl! But alas it is true! While I must say that I am disturbed by the way that Scientology blends religion with profitable, New Age-y self-help mumbo jumbo (not to mention the stuff about, like, you know, aliens and volcanoes), I don't really have a problem with it. If it helps you, and you don't have a problem with paying your church thousands of dollars, then more power to you...although it would be nice if wealthy people would give that money to charities instead, but oh well. And I like Tom and Katie! There, I said it! If marrying Tom Cruise continues to keep Katie Holmes from acting, then I am in favor of it.

4 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Jenny said...

Beck? AND Jason Lee????
NO!

 
At 9:35 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

NOOOO Not Jason Lee!!!! Say it ain't so!

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger courtney said...

but i do have to say that i am with you with regards to keeping katie holmes from acting. i mean, dawson's creek? first daughter (or whatever the hell that movie was called)? now if we could only start a religion that would keep paris hilton from acting...

 
At 10:43 PM, Blogger Kyle said...

Have you seen the new Beck / Michael Gondry video?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home