Sunday, March 04, 2007

Misanthrope McGee

If I can finish this post by midnight, I will be sticking to my new year's resolution (the one about updating my blog more than once a month). I can't help it if the month of February was uneventful! The highlight was definitely my trip to Milwaukee, and most of the people who read this were there.

Uneventful does not exactly equal boring, though. Deferring grad school for a year was the most educationally beneficial decision I ever made. Instead of going to school this year, I've been doing nothing but practicing, taking lessons, teaching, listening to music and reading library books. Horrible February weather only enhanced my singularity of purpose. In the past few weeks, I have become more and more certain that I am learning more independently than I did in all four years of college. This has been extremely rewarding and enjoyable, but it is not exactly good for my disposition. By the end of high school, I was already cynical about most of society's institutions, but now I'm pretty much convinced that they are pointless and evil. But they are a necessary evil. When it comes down to it, I have to get a master's degree, but after this year of musical utopia, going back to school is going to be unpleasant if not unbearable. Maybe I could try to overload credits and get it over with in one year, like ripping off a band-aid....

What do you all think after graduating from college? Is it all it's cracked up to be? Is it worth the money? (obviously it is in the sense that you make more money with a college degree than without one, but is the cost of a private college vs. a state school worth it?)

I have no segueway for this, but what is with people who still talk to teachers from high school? I think anybody from Wheeling would agree that I was one of the world's biggest teacher's pets, but you don't see me emailing and going out for coffee with them 5 years later. How do high school teachers even remember students for more than a year? I suspect that I am maybe not a good person in this respect. I really only worked hard in high school to get A's. I could not have cared less about 90% of the material. And I acted nice to all the teachers, but in retrospect, I really did not like or respect more than one or two. Does this make me hollow? Phony? Machiavellian? One of my students told me she gets into arguments with teachers all the time, and my advice to her was, "Well, you just have to act fakely nice, but then get your mom to complain to the school." Was that bad? Whatever, I'm not going to tell her that she has to respect her teachers, especially not now that people I went to high school with who are kind of stupid are now teaching in high schools. (Obviously, Katie is NOT one of these people. Any kid who gets Katie as a teacher should thank Jesus at least 50 times a day.)

Have a lovely day!!

3 Comments:

At 4:01 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

A. the title of this blog entry is fantastic.

B. i believe that marquette was well worth the money because of the (mostly) solid theology education i received (something that's rare at a state institution). i also met some of the best people ever, either directly or indirectly because of MU!

C. awww you're too kind. my students don't have to thank Jesus 50 times a day for me.
20 times at the MOST.

D. way to update. i love love love your entries. now and forever. amen.

 
At 9:27 PM, Blogger Johnny said...

College always depressed the hell out of my which is why I stopped going again. My mind has decided that it will only absorb and store materials that it deems interesting, and worthwhile. So I have a problem with college. But I figures I've pretty much settled into the field. Just need to get my certification, and I am set.

 
At 8:48 AM, Blogger Kyle said...

After leaving college... I continue to be endlessly surprised by how short-sighted and self-absorbed undergrads are and never want to be that again. In college it's ok to talk endlessly about how busy you are and for some reason people care about what test you have coming up, but it's a total faux pas once you leave. Post-college life is not all it is cracked up to be either, I'm certainly not rolling in money and it's a lot lonlier. I've been thinking a lot lately about going back to school, but I wouldn't do it without experiencing this first. Good luck in your decisions!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home